Friday, August 12, 2011

Ebook Programs Abound for PCs and Smartphones

Don't have a Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader, or iPad?  You can still read ebooks on your PC or smartphone. Both Barnes & Noble and Amazon have free programs for your smartphone and PC that are also called Nook and Kindle.  And those programs mimic the features of their more expensive electronic siblings.

So now without buying a Kindle, Nook, or Sony Reader, you can download hundreds or thousands of books, many of them free. And there's more:  other programs such as Stanza and e-reader also allow you to download and read ebooks. Many free ebook sites allow files to be downloaded in pdf, rtf, or html formats.

I use the Kindle, Nook, and Stanza programs on my iPhone. Are they as good on my iPhone as on an actual Kindle or Nook?  No, but okay--I don't always want to carry around my Nook, but I almost always have my phone.

My advice is to download the free ebook programs to at least see what you are missing.

Vin






2 comments:

  1. I didn't know that! 'Course I don't have an iPhone. That is more convenient than toting a Nook. Thanks for sharing the info.

    ReplyDelete
  2. iPhone isn't the only smartphone that can download such apps. But I don't know them all.

    ReplyDelete